Here are Aratari At Home's Tips to Chalk Paint:
1. Clean your surface very well & dry it completely before starting to chalk paint
2. No need to sand/prep your piece
3. My favorite brands of chalk paint are Annie Sloan & Rustoleum Chalked Chalk Paint (HERE)
These are the only brands I have used because I love them so much
Annie Sloan will be a little more expensive, but it will last a long time
1 Can of Annie Sloan did 2 coats of paint on my 6 dining room chairs, 2 coats on my console table, & 2 coats on an end table, along with some small little paint projects
It is sold at select retailers which can be found on Annie Sloan's website
Rustoleum is sold at Home Depot
4. Chalk paint has a matte finish & is very thick so you do not need to use a lot when covering projects
5. I use any brush or roller, even though certain chalk paint brushes are recommended (I've even used the inexpensive chip brushes & never had an issue!)
6. The dry time for chalk paint is extremely fast!
By the time I am done with a piece, the first part I started on is typically dry already!
7. Sand your piece after chalk painting if you want an antique look
Some suggest to sand after the wax is applied, but I like the look of sanding the paint so that some of the wood will come through
Sanding after waxing can make your piece glossy so if that is the look you are going for then sand after waxing
8. You can use wax or polycrylic (HERE) to seal your pieces
Some projects require a more heavy duty finish like polycrylic (ie: my painted tiled floors) while other projects just need chalk paint wax
I love Annie Sloan's Clear Wax ( a little goes a long way!)
9. Chalk Paint Wax is not as intimidating as it seems
Take some of the wax out of the container & put on a disposable plate
Using a brush, apply the wax to the piece in sections
After one section is done, rub off the excess wax using an old cloth, ensuring to get in all the crevices
10. Let the wax dry for at least 24 hours before placing anything on the piece
I hope these tips helped you out & maybe inspired you to try out chalk paint. Let me know in the comments below if you have any upcoming chalk paint projects. Painting is soothing to my soul! I love it so much!
Thank you for checking out the blog tonight!
*This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog!*